Velo Kids Coaches & Volunteers
Awesome coaches are what makes Velo Kids possible, fun and safe!
All of our coaches are properly screened and trained, including background checks, safety, process and procedure training, sensitivity training, first aid training and more.
Below is a list of Velo Kids Coach and Volunteer training and requirements.
Velo Kids Coach Training and Requirements
- Background checks are performed on all coaches and volunteers
- Concussion Training certification required for all coaches
- First Aid Training certification required for all coaches
- Sensitivity Training with the Children's Advocacy Center of Ottawa County required for all coaches
- Velo Kids Code of Conduct and Coach Traits signed by all coaches and volunteers
- Velo Kids Safety Policy signed by all coaches and volunteers
- Velo Kids Coach/Volunteer Training Manual signed by all coaches and volunteers
Coach and Volunteer Code of Conduct
Velo Kids Coaches and Volunteers promise to strictly follow the rules and guidelines in this Code of Conduct.
As a volunteer, I will:
- Treat everyone with respect, loyalty, patience, integrity, courtesy, dignity and consideration.
- Avoid situations where I am alone with children and/or youth.
- Use positive reinforcement rather than criticism, competition or comparison when working with children and youths.
- Report suspected abuse to Velo Kids staff, and the local responsible agency (Police). I understand that failure to report suspected abuse to civil authorities is, according to the law, a misdemeanor.
- Cooperate fully in any investigation of abuse of children or youths.
Coach and volunteer traits:
- Positive energy, passion for the vision of happy, healthy, strong communities and active-for-life kids.
- Knowledgeable - navigation, rules of the road, experienced cyclist.
- Relationship builder/connector – Can make deep connections with youth participants and foster an environment of connection amongst youth participants.
- Great communicator- Listens well. Is effective and comfortable communicating with young people and their bigs across multiple mediums.
- Leadership - Supports a positive, collaborative culture. Knows how to take advantage of strengths, remove obstacles, and inspire loyalty and trust.
- Presence - Being in the moment for the youth participants. Shine the spotlight on them.
- Creative, flexible and adaptable - Able to “fill in the blanks” when things get unpredictable to engage youth and keep their program safe, fun and exciting.
- Reliable - on time and ready to go. Reliably makes the right choices according to coaches’ training.
- Likes to have fun and find adventure - always.